Are you thinking of ways to transform your patio, walkway or driveway? Installing pavers can help you achieve that. So what are the benefits that pavers have to offer? What steps should you take to keep them looking flawless once they’re laid? Read on to learn more.
The Benefits of Pavers
Pavers offer numerous benefits, which include:
- Variety – They come in many different sizes, styles, and colors, making it easy to find those that harmonize with your architectural style or landscaping design.
- Ease of Replacement – They are cheaper to repair than asphalt or concrete. That’s because, in case of any damage, you can replace the damaged pavers rather than the entire space.
- Strength and Durability – Pavers are highly durable and can handle a variety of vehicle and pedestrian traffic. Typically, they last for over 30 years.
- Low Maintenance – They have minimal maintenance requirements. All they need is occasional sweeping and hosing. You may do some light re-sanding every two to five years.
- Weather Resistance – You can use pavers once you set them. Their surface is slip resistant and not affected by deicing salts. They also don’t crack in minor earthquakes.
How to Maintain Your Pavers
Clear Dirt and Debris Regularly
One of the most important steps to take to keep your pavers in excellent condition is regularly sweeping and clearing dirt and debris with a stiff-bristled push broom or snow or leaf blower. By doing that, you’ll be protecting the paver surface from scratches and damage.
Your pavers need to be cleaned at least twice each year using soapy water. Make sure your hold the hose of your pressure washer at an angle to avoid weakening the pavers. Once you’re done with the washing, replace the sand in the joints that may have been rinsed away.
Get Rid of Stains
Pavers can become stained over time due to conditions such as the weather. It’s best to eliminate stains as soon as possible because they become harder to remove the longer you let them sit. You can wash off minor stains with a garden hose. For tough stains, you can use a brush and mild soapy water or a solution of one part vinegar and 10 parts warm water.
Prevent Moss, Algae, and Weeds
To prevent the growth of moss, algae, and weeds in the joints of your pavers, spray a weed killer in the spring and summertime. You can place a geotextile mesh underneath your paving stone to prevent weed growth. Use these easy tips to keep your pavers looking fresh and beautiful.
If you’re looking to install pavers, contact us at Viking Pavers.
We specialize in the design and installation of stone paver driveways, walkways, patios, fire pits, retaining walls, and outdoor kitchens in the San Francisco Bay Area. The testimonials we’ve accumulated over the years are an indication of our guaranteed quality and workmanship. We’re so confident in our products and services that we offer an unrivaled 25-year warranty on workmanship and a lifetime manufacturer’s warranty on paving stones.